During Strictly Come Dancing season (Sept – Dec) my friends and I take it in turns to host each other on Saturday evenings to indulge in a little vino and latino. This mainly involves shouting and whooping at the telly and passing our (expert) opinions as C-list celebrities in tight latin trousers and low cut leotards flounce around the dance floor. Great fun.
We often bring along home-made treats and one of mine that seemed to go down particularly well were Banana and Chocolate Cupcakes based on the Hummingbird Bakery recipe. As I have friends who are gluten and dairy intolerant I tweaked the ingredients a bit.
Preheat oven to 170 degrees C (325 F, Gas 3)
120g plain gluten free flour (I used Doves Farm)
140g caster sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
pinch of salt
80g dairy free spread (I used Pure)
120ml soya milk
120g mashed banana
50g dark chocolate, chopped (or use chocolate chips)*
– Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, salt and dairy-free spread with an electric mixer until combined.
– Slowly add the milk and mix until well combined.
– Add the eggs and beat well.
– Evenly stir in the mashed banana and chopped chocolate
– Spoon the mixture into paper cupcake cases until two thirds full and bake for about 20 mins. They should be light golden and bounce back when touched.
– Leave to cool and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
– Once cold decorate with chocolate butter icing (can also be made with dairy-free spread, it tastes great!) or whatever toppings you like.
*The chopped chocolate was one of my additions to the original recipe and as you can see in the pic, it all sank to the bottom, but it was still delicious!