Just the thing for an early summer house warming party in Penzance!
For the sponge
175g softened butter
175g golden caster sugar
175g self-raising flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
3 eggs, beaten
50g dessicated coconut
2tbsp coconut cream or single cream
For the buttercream filling and topping
280g icing sugar
100g softened butter
3tbsp coconut cream or single cream
5tbsp blueberry jam
handful of fresh blueberries
– Preheat oven to 180 degrees C/Gas Mark 4.
– Butter 2 x 20cm/8in sandwich tins and line bases with greaseproof paper.
– Mix butter, sugar, flour, baking powder and eggs in a food processor or with an electric hand mixer until smooth. Stir in the coconut and cream.
– Divide mixture into the two tins and smooth tops. Cook for 25 mins until golden brown and firm to the touch. Leave to cool for 5 mins then turn out and leave to cool on wire rack.
– Mix together butter, icing sugar and cream until smooth. Spread one sponge with jam, spread the underside of the top piece of sponge with half the buttercream (so the jam and cream don’t get all mixed up!) then sandwich the two pieces of sponge together. Spread the rest of the buttercream on top of the cake and dot with fresh blueberries.
You could substitute the blueberries and blueberry jam with other fruits such as raspberries or strawberries.